Go Home Packet
Caring for your Puppy and Pet Contract
- Feeding your Doodle puppy: Water should be clean and fresh. Make water available to your puppy at all times. Puppies do great with meals 3 times a day. There are many great dog foods; I will provide you with a sample that will last about a week. If you decide to change foods use this sample to mix with the new food until switched over. Probiotics and canned pumpkin puree will help with upset tummies while you switch.
- Grooming your puppy: Brush your puppy at least 3 times per week. I suggest getting into the habit of everyday brushing. This will establish a routine for you and the puppy. If you give your puppy a bath make sure to brush them out before and after to prevent matting. You will need to clean your dogs ears once per month, there are some awesome videos online giving loads of information about how to groom your Doodle. Puppies lose their puppy coat between 6-12 months and can last a couple of months, be sure to brush, brush, brush during this time.
- Vet visits: Your puppy will go home up-to-date on vaccinations and wormings. You must take your puppy to the veterinarian to get the remainder of their vaccinations that your vet suggests. If you fail to get your puppy fully vaccinated your Guarantee will become void.
- Flea and Heartworm: Here in Texas a preventative must be used for both flea and heartworm. I suggest Frontline and Heartgard.
- Socializing your puppy: Playing with your puppy is a great way to socialize the puppy and get exercise. Whether you decide on a sheepadoodle, labradoodle or Double Doodle, Puppies should not go on runs with you until 14 months old when their bones and joints have matured. Playing fetch for short bursts of running is fun and safe for puppy. Going on walks is fine and encouraged. Puppies love to go on walks and meet new people. Try to prevent anyone from scaring your puppy, trust is very important. Children should be gentle.
- Training: As a top doodle breeder in Texas, starting out your doodle with proper training you puppy is important. What they learn between 8 to 16 weeks will be lifelong. Training, socialization, and interactions with other animals are all important at this age. There are many training videos online, with many different methods. Find one that works for you, but remember to be kind. Positive reinforcement and treat based training gives better results than negative. A puppy class is suggested to socialize and continue their training.
- Puppy Proofing: Puppy proofing is very similar to toddler proofing. Take a look around to see what your puppy might get into that could cause them harm. Teach children to keep socks and toys off the ground, these seem like innocent items but can cause harm to dogs if ingested.
Texan Doodles Pet Contract
Feed puppy 3 times per day and let them eat all they want. Pay attention to how long it takes them to go potty after eating. Each puppy is a little different but usually it’s 30-45 minutes. This is will help with potty training.
ID Tags, Collars, and Leashes
Puppies will go home microchipped. You will be responsible for registering the microchip to have your information for contact. Identifications tags on the collar are recommended as well. Because puppies grow so fast you may want to hold off until they are a bit larger or buy a larger one for later. I will provide a collar when the puppy goes home and a slip leash which is adjustable and great while puppy is still growing.
We feed Purina Pro Plan Sport for all life stages, chicken flavor. We will provide a bag of food for you to take home. You can purchase Purina Pro plan dog food online on chewy.com, or at local pet stores like Pet Barn and Petsmart.
Frontline is what I recommend for flea control, but check with your vet.
Be sure to stock up on lots of treats for training. There are many varieties. Try out a few to see which your puppy loves. Be sure to stock up on lots of treats for training. There are many varieties. Try out a few to see which your puppy loves.
Crate training can be helpful during potty training and crating at night gives puppy a safe place to sleep. Be sure to get one large enough when puppy grows, use dividers to make the space fit the puppy.
Puppy Play Yard
A great place to keep your puppy contained and safe, when you're not watching them during the day.
Complimentary Pet Insurance
Your pet's health is important to us. To make the transition an easy one we are including a month's complimentary pet health coverage through Trupanion. Coverage must be activated within 24 hours of going home.
Online Puppy Training Classes
We are super excited to announce that we have partnered with BAXTER & Bella and their online puppy school, providing pet parents with Lifetime MEMBERS ONLY Access to all the training help they could need, including more 65 step-by-step lessons, over 100 how-to video demonstrations, printable charts & checklists, as well as unlimited LIVE! One-on-one professional coaching and online classes too! If you are a dog owner we totally recommend it. At check out enter TEXANDOODLES in the Discount Code box, and you will save 25% instantly!